Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Jan 2012 21:45:12 +1100
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (35 lines)
It depends on the law of the Land.  In NSW, we have what we call 'good samaritan' legislation.  If you are trying to help someone in good faith in a voluntary capacity (esp in an emergency situation) you cannot be successfully sued for making matters worse.  
cheers
Nina Berry
Australia
On 10/01/2012, at 10:02 PM, Pamela Morrison wrote:

> Thanks to all who are discussing the IBCLC scope of practice and insurance.  I'm following the thread very closely and I have another related question.  I'm a currently non-insured IBCLC.  Officially, I've retired from seeing moms in private practice, but I'd really love to do some voluntary work occasionally, and in fact I still get calls from moms who've found my name through a directory, or a website, or from helplines or friends.    I've also been thinking of offering my services to the local drop-in mother-support groups near me, and/or offering unpaid face to face or phone help wherever it might be needed, but I'm hesitant to do this because of the insurance issue. Being retired, frankly I can't see myself being able to afford the insurance premiums, and though I was an LLLL many, many years ago, I'm no longer attached to any voluntary support organization so I'm not covered by anyone else's insurance. Apart from ordinary moms with general or special breastfeeding questions, I'm especially interested in working with HIV+ mothers and with those supporting HIV+ mothers, and I do get requests for email info, or occasional phone calls about that thorny topic.
> 
> So my question:   to do unpaid LC-ing, do I need professional indemnity insurance, presumably to protect the general public if I make a mistake?  Or would being "just" a volunteer exempt me from needing it?  Liz, I'm especially interested to hear how you might interpret this requirement, or how others might have worked around it.
> 
> Pamela Morrison IBCLC
> Rustington, England
> 
>            ***********************************************
> 
> Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
> To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
> Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
> COMMANDS:
> 1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
> 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
> 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
> 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2