Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Oct 2010 00:04:07 +1300
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (29 lines)
Carol Bartle - Medela in NZ

Just to make sure that my question asking about Medela in NZ was not misunderstood a few days ago. I was attempting to find out the background to the Medela in NZ original post. I don't have any confusion at all about Medela and Fisher & Paykel and International Code violations.

An International Code violation is a Code violation wherever it happens, and it counts globally, so no way is Medela somehow excused in NZ because Fisher & Paykel 'say' they are compliant here or people think they are compliant here. The Code in New Zealand, as opposed to the International Code, is what some of us here call Code-Lite. It is the NZ Government's response to the International Code and the Infant Nutrition Council's self regulated Code of Practice (2007) which only applies to the marketing of breast-milk substitutes," suitable for infants up to the age of six months". A watered down version of the International Code. Bottles and teats are not in this version of course.

I declined an invitation to speak at a conference in NZ last year because of a Medela trade stand. That was my personal decision. 

For me it is even bigger than the Code too. I am concerned about unethical marketing of many products - related to the Code, or not related to the Code, and with or without Code violations - and concerned that the use of a pump is not necessarily helpful for breastfeeding in many situations or for most breastfeeding women. The nature of marketing has shifted into a manufactured demand model which sells more product by making consumers think they need a product, or by giving an often erroneous impression of what a product can do for you and how it can make your life somehow easier. When a marketing line says 'every woman is different so which pump is right for you?' - that's a whole different ball game to saying, 'if a pump is needed this one works'.

In the end it's not just Medela who are manufacturing demand and indulging in what I would consider to be unethical marketing, with or without Code violations. Not helping unethical companies market their products by health workers avoiding giving the erroneous impression that any product is appropriate or necessary for every breastfeeding woman seems to me to be essential. Along with recognising the International Code.

All the best

Carol Bartle (NZ) 

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2