Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jan 2017 09:03:31 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (19 lines)
I work in Mother/baby in a hospital and would love some advice about colostrum expression during the first 48 hours especially. 
Does anyone see a decrease in the amount of colostrum that women can express on day 2? I'm seeing this so often that I wonder if this might be normal. We typically advise hand expression for the first 24 hours for most women because they get a lot more than with the pump. And it usually goes down day 2 and then up on day 3.
What would you say is the average amount you see women hand expressing on the first day?  I see typically less than 2 ml. But it varies, frequently less and rarely more.  I've seen a lot of protocols recommending supplements of 5 or 10 mls colostrum for feeding problems,  but hardly ever see women express that much. How much do you supplement with? I saw someone here post once that on day one her patients typically get 45 mls, am I doing something wrong? I think when we consider supplement volumes,  we shouldn't just look at stomach size,  but more at what is typical expression volume. How much does a breast typical produce is a better question than what is the most we can fit in the stomach, right? 
If a baby doesn't latch after delivery,  when do you begin hand expression?  12 hours? 24? We want HE right away for sick babies.  But I mean for healthy,  term babies that just need a little time. 
Are hospital grade breast pumps really beneficial for milk production over hand expression because we almost always get more milk from HE? And I was reading that a lot of the pro-pumping research was funded by breast pump companies. I'm getting disillusioned with breast pumps since typically we see women use them,  get less milk than with HE and then want to supplement with formula. But they are so convinced they need them. Sometimes it hard to get them to do HE. 
Thank you for your advice!
Tricia Shamblin,  RN, IBCLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2