Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Dec 2013 21:34:08 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (21 lines)
Yes, it is a shame that this keeps popping up. I was talking to a really nice couple at my church last year that had a new baby. She was breastfeeding and doing really well, but was being pressured by friends to try Babywise. Ugh. I tried to gently offer a different viewpoint and a few other suggestions for parenting books. I believe Dr. Sears even wrote a book a few years ago titled, "Christian Parenting." And it was pretty much a direct response both medically and theologically to this whole craziness. Actually, Ezzo was kicked out of his church a few years ago, they didn't agree with how far he strayed theologically either. So that is the first thing I would mention to anyone who was thinking this is a great idea. It never ceases to amaze me how many people don't view babies as human beings, with thoughts and feelings just like theirs. They think they are parenting some inorganic object for whom nothing they do matters. Here's another example, saw
 this little tidbit in the news last year, a study showing its okay to let your baby cry it out, published in Pediatrics. 

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/parents-sleepless-babies-cry/story?id=17197389

The study showed that over time the mother's cortisol levels dropped as their babies began to cry less and less. But when you read further in the study, you find out that although the babies eventually stopped crying (gave up hope of being responded to) their cortisol levels continued to remain high. They were still stressed out, they had just given up hope that anyone was going to come and help them. How does anyone read that and interpret it as, its fine to leave babies to cry it out?

Tricia

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2