Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Feb 2010 10:16:44 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (23 lines)
This is off topic but a bit on topic. My husband had a total hip replacement this week, so I have been an active participant in our healthcare system. The nurses in the hospital seem to be focused very much on doing the "job" and getting back to charting or whatever they are doing at the computer. Education--what is that? If my husband ( who is not a health care professional), asked a question, it was met with a look and a sigh, and a quick, dismissive answer that was not clear or understandable. When the aide ( sorry, I think they don't want to be called aides now, they are "care partners") inserted the catheter, she did not use the numbing gel, but told him to take a deep breathe. It reminded me about the debate over circumcision pain control. When she had difficulty she used the "power manuver" which caused intense pain. She then suggested he get used to that. I asked her to contact the nurse and she said she would. Two hours later, after noticing the blood pooling in the bed, I went to find the nurse who did not know anything about the difficult insertion. She took it out, tried 2 more times and then called the urologist to come in. Now, 3 days later, we are home, and I am having to do wound care, catheter care, medications, etc. I am not a nurse. Sorry but I only wanted to be a health educator/lactation consultant. I understand the importance of education. Only one of the nurses did a good job with education, and actually printed out information for us to take home. After all these years of reminding folks that moms used to be taken care of in the hospital for 2 weeks postpartum and sympathizing with women going home 2 days after a C sec now in this system, I am understanding totally the frustration of early discharge. I don't think it is a bad thing to have post surgical patients stay longer then 2 days.
That's my rant for the day.

Barbara Whitehead
Eastern NC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2