Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Apr 2001 20:39:54 +0200
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (20 lines)
Firstly i just wanted to comment on the peanut issue. I agree with Barbara when she says that knowledge is strength (don't recall the exact words), but not all findings are intended to be negative towards bf. I read with great interest the new findings and appreciated them for enabling me to increase my knowledge. This is how we learn. 

NOW, I need your HELP!!!!!!!!! All of the terminology was given to me in Hebrew and there are medical terms that I am not familiar with so alot of this may be guesswork. I apologize for that.
Maybe our peds can enlighten me. (if they can guess what I am talking about!)

I have a mom who gave birth to a baby girl in week 31. Weight 850 gms. on 4 Feb. 2001.
Mom has been pumping and baby started bf intermittently at 1.800 kgs. Today, 8 weeks later, they have been happily discharged with an "adjusted age" of 5 days old. - weight 2.000 kgs.
She has been diagnosed as having "Osteofenia" (or osteopinia). Close to birth the level of 
Alkaline Phosphates (???)was 900 and upon discharge is 350. The instructions she received at discharge is to bf whenever, but 4-5 meals each day must be Similac. She has been hoping to get the baby to bf exclusively, but due to the complications of this malady which I have not come across, I am at a loss as to how to encourage her. She did not receive any instructions on how to ultimately go over to EBF. I checked my books, but couldn't find anything by this name. 

I will be seeing her tomorrow morning when I will be able to assess bf and theoretically help her to carry on - but first I need a medical opinion so that I can concur with her ped. Knowing what we know about bf and bmilk, seems logical to try and feed her as much as possible from the breast. Thanks for your attention and I eagerly await your responses.

Ellen Shein, IBCLC. who jumped quickly back onto Lactnet with this case after going nomail for the week of Passover. and wishes everyone a Happy Holiday, Passover, Easter etc....

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2