Tue, 25 May 2004 00:52:19 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (47 lines)
Dee wrote:
"I agree with all those who have posted about excessive water intake
negatively impacting milk supply."

My other thought about this is that a woman on a raw foods diet already typically consumes more fluid than the average person.

" I would also like to share my own observations that might have a
bearing on this case.  (In other words, no scientific study, just what I've
noticed.) I have rather often seen mothers lose the cream of their milk when
they begin a very low-fat diet. "

I actually wonder if it is a low-fat diet that is the cause or if it is the quality of the fats consumed. Speaking only of an American population, I am far more concerned about the consumption of trans-fats than I am lack of consumption of other fats. The more trans-fats one consumes, the more EFA's one needs in the diet and the more anti-oxidants one requires. Americans consume astronomical amounts of trans fats in their diets and very few anti-oxidants. Often, women on low-fat diets are also on poor-fat diets.

" I have also seen the cream disappear when moms are experiementing with giving up dairy due to a possible food allergy in the baby, and they replace the cow's milk with a rice beverage.  I know that some of these women are trying to avoid soy beverage because there is such a high percentage of babies allergic to dairy who are also allergic to soy.  But soy
seems to have more fat in it that rice, and I think that's where the problem lies, and why their babies seem to be so hungry when the mom switches to rice as the main replacement for dairy."

I agree that rice milk is not a good source of fat in the diet, although I try to suggest that the mom use rice milk in things like cereal or cooking for a couple of weeks if cow milk seems to be a culprit and add EFA's to her diet in the form of fish oil (being very careful about brands) or flax oil or seeds. But, I think it is important to note that cow milk is a poor source of nutrition for human beings and I try to educate women that reliance on any milk is uncessary. I think it would be a very poor suggestion to encourage mothers to consume cow milk to increase fat content of milk.

"I am not disagreeing with the idea that many babies are also allergic
to soy--I have seen that to be true.  But maybe rather than going to soy, this
mom might do what we suggest for babies on solids who don't seem to be
gaining well:  She could go to the higher-fat foods like avocado.  (My understanding
is that coconut oil is not a heart-healthy oil for an adult, though the RDs
on the list could address that concern much better than I.) "

I agree. Good fats would be a better suggestion. For a raw foodist, seeds like pumpkin (one of the best sources of EFAs), flax (ground) and chia seeds, and nuts like walnut would be a wonderful choice. Avocado is excellent as well. But, your info on coconut is incorrect. (http://www.coconut-connections.com/) Coconut is one of the healthiest oils one can consume and saturated fats have gotten a bad rap in the past 50 years or so. Oils like corn, soy, safflower and canola are very dangerous to consume. This mom could add coconut oil to a fruit smoothie for a nutricious breakfast.

"reducing the amount of water she is consuming, I think it would be beneficial
for her to try to pick raw foods that have higher fat/oil content."

I agree. I also think there is the possibility of detox going on depending on the mom's diet history up until now. She may also be inexperienced with this type of diet and limiting her food selections, potentially stimulating sensitivities in her baby.

Please note, that I am in no way advocating this diet for a breastfeeding mom (or anyone else), only addressing some issues that I think might be misunderstood about raw foods (I eat at least 50% raw, but would only choose all raw for an intentional fast period, not for life). And, as others have asked, I would love to know what this baby is eating besides breastmilk.  Also, what possessed mom to make this choice and what was her diet like prior to going raw? I wonder is if her nutrition was already compromised in some way (baby FTT, low milk supply) that has not been addressed. Perhaps B12 or zinc?
Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2