Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jan 2012 18:22:04 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (18 lines)
Great observation about the faster flow of the calma, Linda.  I am testing it this weekend to compare it to other bottles.  Medela's research was okay, but much of what they claim holds true for other bottles, too.  They compare themselves to "conventional" bottles, which I interpret as nipples that flow/drip with gravity.  But almost half of the various brands we tested (for dripping and for flow) became no-drip nipples.  So a lot of what Medela claims as important is not exclusive to the Calma in my opinion.

I've also used the Breastflow.  Not my favorite...babies often has a shallow latch on it, and it's very squishy so the lips may compress it and work too hard.  When studying the Breastflow, we found that the nipple itself fills with liquid, and once empty the flow stops until it refills.  This is much like the design flaw that Nowak et al found with the orthodontic shape nipple they studied.  The Breastflow just added a new selling point to their bottles...they come with a disposable liner, probably to be in line with the study funded by Playtex.  Of course, there are flaws with that study.  But that's another topic.

Amy Peterson
Idaho 

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2