Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Mar 2011 07:46:21 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (21 lines)
I don't remember who told me this or where I might have read it but many years ago I learned something about some of the babies who were inconsolable in the evening. Some of them have had rough days and just can't take it anymore so they break down in the evening. They are easy to handle during the day, and not being very demanding, their needs may not be fully met. If this happens often enough during the day, they reach a point where they run out of resources and can't cope any more. So they melt down. Not so different than adults who have a rough day. With these babies, if mom is attentive during the day, generous amounts of hugging, carrying, playing, nursing, and generally being sure their baby's 'cup runneth over' evenings go better. 

Will this work for every mother and baby? I doubt it, but some mothers have reported that it did help. 

Does this make sense to you? Has there been any research relating the events of baby's day to baby's behavior in the evening? 

Alice Roddy, LLLLeader 
Front Royal, VA 
I did the best I knew at the time and if I*d known better, I*d have done better. -Ruth Alderman Tait 

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2