Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Jan 2003 00:11:50 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (29 lines)
Hello All,

I know this subject has been the center of several discussions.  I have been doing a great deal of reading/work on the subject and just had a few questions/comments for those more experienced than me (most of you probably!)

I am a LLL leader for the past 5 years and am studying for the 2003 IBCLC.  In the past month I have seen/counseled 6 different moms who have infants ranging in age from 3 to 12 weeks all presenting with classic oversupply symptoms- Green frothy explosive stools with gassy, fussy baby.... symptoms which so frequently get dx as "milk" allergy or any other allergy. Of course many of the peds advocate switch to ABM or radical dietary changes for mom.   Three of the moms have successfully used the same breast for 2 to 3 feedings with good results.  the fourth mom who was also sup with a milk based ABM reported tiny black "clumps" in stool with tiny streaks of bright red blood.  I advised her to contact her ped who switched suppliment to Alimentum and baby is doing "much better" according to mom. She is continuing to pump and breastfeed (as I advised because Sx sounded like an allergic response and she should protect her milk supply in case baby could not tolerate any "special hypo-allergenic" formulas)  

I haven't been able to reach the other moms to find out how they are doing but will continue to keep in touch.  

My question to all of you is WHY does it seem like there are so many cases of oversupply and allergy these days?  These recent cases are amazing to me also because these are not the only cases I've seen in the last few months.  There are several more.  Am I missing somthing or misdiagnosing?  The discussions about the lactose intolerance have been very interesting because I think the Abx also factor into these cases.  Three of these moms also had Abx either at delivery or in the first few weeks post partum.  Also, so many of these babies (and older kids in our group) have been exclusively bf and have really severe eczema.

I guess I may just be thinking out loud but also would like to ask if any of you notice that these babies with these symptoms tend to cluster feed more than other babies?  This is another thing that I notice because the mothers tend to be SO much more frustrated (the babies are much more fussy too) because they seem to feed more often.
Just wondering if you have any insight that might help....AND any polite effective way to educate peds about the oversupply symptoms.

Best Regards,
Jennifer Macri
O'Fallon, MO LLL and IBCLC candidate 2003

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2