Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Dec 2003 11:53:50 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (1 lines)
"We need to find someone who is willing to expose this entire situation for what it is, and we need to maintain a consistent message among bf advocates that   "the next best thing" isn't good enough for babies--either in their diets or in an ad campaign."

When I wrote this, I did not mean that we should sit around and wait for someone--what I meant was that as we take more and more action, the someones we need will be exposed to this issue and show up. IMO, this is not an issue of right and wrong and should not be framed as such. We are right--no one has the right to water down this campaign and it is wholly unethical for industry to have a say at all. It is an issue of  will and entrainment--we need to have the will to hold our position and we need to have the ability to say the same thing over and over again until we are heard and our message becomes the shared message of the majority. BTW, as a student of wushu (kungfu), I am quite aware that one best holds her position from a place of inner strength, flexible in form, but focused in intent. (In wushu, one of the most powerful forms is the drunken form, in which the warrior appears to be drunken, thus allowing his body to soften and become extremely flexible, giving him the ability to strike from unusual and unexpected positions. It is also one of the most difficult strategies to learn.) IMO, watering down this campaign should never be an option, but the form we may need to take to accomplish this may evolve.
Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA

ATOM RSS1 RSS2