Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jul 2013 16:28:48 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (76 lines)
If progesterone is not digestible, then why do they make progesterone containing pills of natural progesterone for menopausal women?  HMMM?  And Armour thyroid for treatment of hypothyroidism with a dehydrated pig thyroid?

-----Original Message-----
From: Lactation Information and Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Doula
Sent: Wednesday, July 24, 2013 2:07 PM
Subject: Re: placenta capsules

I am very interested in this thread !  I am a postpartum doula and many of my doula sisters offer "Placenta Encapsulation Services".

A while back, a client of my was having low milk production issues.  She was already to start taking her p.pills--I discouraged her from doing so (progesterone) without checking with the IBCLC/MD she was working with.  This health care professional stated, "progesterone was not digestible" and "would not affect the milk supply ONE WAY OR ANOTHER."

So, it's based on that information I now say nothing, one way or another about p.pills.

--Kathy

Katherine Koncelik, CPD, CLC
     -------------------------------
Treasurer
Co-Founder
Long Island Doula Assoc., Inc.
A 501.c.3 Not-For-Profit Charitable Corporation

On Jul 24, 2013, at 2:19 PM, Anne Eglash <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I feel very certain that I have 4 cases of women who never established good milk supplies or lost a good supply due to placenta capsules. I feel that I have a good understanding of lactational physiology and I can almost always determine 'where the lesion is' for women with a low supply. In these cases, these women should absolutely have had good supplies. One of the women stuck with it and didn't respond to galactogogues until 2 months after she stopped the placenta capsules. She then noticed that her supply gradually climbed to a near full supply. This delayed response to galactogogues makes sense if her low supply was due to the placenta.
> I spoke to a mammary biologist re this, who agrees that this connection is plausible. It makes great sense to me because of how other hormones such as the progesterone only pill, prednisone, estrogen, and of course a retained placental fragment can impact milk supply. I have heard that some women feel that taking their placenta enhances their milk, but this is the yin/yang of medicines. Paradoxical responses happen to all sorts of supplements and prescription meds.
> I warn women not to take their placenta.
> Anne
> 
> Anne Eglash MD, FABM, IBCLC
> Clinical Professor
> Dept of Family Medicine
> Medical Director UW Lactation Clinic
> University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health
> 600 N. 8th St.
> Mount Horeb, WI, 53572
> 
>            ***********************************************
> 
> Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
> To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
> Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
> COMMANDS:
> 1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an 
> email: set lactnet nomail 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail 3. To 
> unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet 4. To get a comprehensive list of 
> rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2