Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Apr 2006 21:33:03 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (38 lines)
The recent posts about homebirth vs hospital birth are interesting and provocative- we may just have to all agree to disagree on this but atleast we can all learn a bit in the process.

The fact of the matter is that practically all women in the US have medically managed hospital births.  A great many of them have inductions, epidurals and c-sections and still manage to breast feed (despite many hurdles for some).
  Hospital based LCs and those of you who see the "trainwrecks" later have a great task- a monumental task- helping these disoriented babies reconnect to their instinctive process after routine hospital delivery procedures, stadol, pitocin, forceps and etc.  I applaud you!! and I can't wait to join you(  I am testing this July for IBCLC)

I am not out to convince anyone about homebirth vs hospital birth.  I don't want to accuse or label or blame, just simply state what I believe to be are facts.There will always be women who need the medical management for whatever reason.  For some, its just darned fear of pain and no confidence in the natural function of their sex, and probably both mixed up together.

It seems a circular debate, women have hospital births, there are complications, women have hospital births and round and round its goes!!

ok!

But, I want to post about a fantastic study that was published just last year in the British Medical Journal, "Outcomes of Planned homebirths: A prospective study"
  I would post a link but I am exhausted.  I simply had to post about this before I went to bed.  This study included 5000 women's births- a huge data pool!! The outcomes were statistically significant due to the huge number of participants and it was a very well designed and well documents study.  Nayone can read it at the BMJ online.
  As it clearly illustrates, homebirths for low risk both moms and babies have similiar outcomes to low risk hospital births with less intererventions- and the breastfeeding rates at six weeks post partum were 95% almost 90% exclusive.

I just want to mke it very clear that there is actually quite a bit of well-documented research out there on unmedicated births, midwive attended births, homebirths and breastfeeding.  This is just an example of one- a very recent one and a huge study.

Mary Herrington RN
  St Luke CMC
  The Woodlands, TX
LACTNET automatic digest system <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

---------------------------------
Talk is cheap. Use Yahoo! Messenger to make PC-to-Phone calls.  Great rates starting at 1&cent;/min.

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2