Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jan 2004 10:37:21 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (1 lines)
In a message dated 1/11/2004 11:42:44 PM Eastern Standard Time, [log in to unmask] writes:

>  I just hope the younger nurse is
> open to actually *hear* the best available information when 
> she becomes a
> mother for the first time.

I think the idea of approaching the less-seasoned nurse when an opp presents was a good idea. This nurse is learning from her peers and what she learns will affect mothers and babies. I wouldn't think it at all inappropriate to say something to the effect, "Hi. As I was charting nearby at the time, I couldn't help overhearing your conversation with ____(RN) when you were talking about breastfeeding and ____(RN)while she was on postpartum with her new baby. I hope you don't mind my adding a couple of thoughts. My understanding of the nursing profession is that evidence-based practices are really being encouraged. If that is so, then no matter what any one person's experience is with breastfeeding or alternative feeding, encouraging by helping mothers breastfeed exclusively is the evidence-based best practice. There is a lot of nursing and other scientific research on this topic. If I can ever help you with it or how to help mothers and babies, just let me know. And thanks for letting me bring this up."

I gotta throw in my favorite "episode." When I was working part-time as a staff RN doing OB early discharge home visits, I usually spent the AM at the hospital talking to moms to set up a visit for the next day. One of the days I went to lunch with some postpartum nurses and one was complaining about a new mother who insisted on keeping her baby with her 24 hours, wouldn't let them even give the baby a paci, etc -- she only wanted to breastfeed (which the baby appeared to be doing well). The nurse then said the mother had info from "that" organization and had apparently been in touch with one of "them," and "they" were giving her all these far-out ideas, plus another couple of prime insults. I looked at her and asked if she thought I was far out. "No," she said. Did she think I gave people strange ideas. "No," she said again. Did she think I was "prime insults." Again she said "no." "Well," I said, "Did you know I'm one of 'those' and have been for over 10 years now." 

It was one of those moments when one actually says what one usually thinks of to say after the fact. I could literally see her shrink in her chair! Then I said something to lighten the tension/mood at the table and all was well again. When I saw her after, I acted as if nothing had happened, but I hope she learned something from it. BTW, I also stopped in to see the "renegade" mom before heading out for home visits and told her to keep up the good work, as she was doing what was best to ensure the establishment of good breastfeeding. 

Karen

ATOM RSS1 RSS2