Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Jan 2012 11:04:21 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (32 lines)
Bow I'm really confused.  I am going by LLL when I am a LLLL.

http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/lv/lvsepoct92p75.html

<It is important to note that LLLI has no authority to define what lactation consultants can or cannot do in their lactation consultant role. It is, however, equally important to remember that only LLLI can define what the limits and expectations are of the active LLL Leader......

It is true that in some situations a mother and baby need to be seen. THE NEW LEADER'S HANDBOOK lists some situations that may require a home visit:

When a baby is refusing to breastfeed or having trouble latching on,
    When a baby is not gaining well and the usual management suggestions are not helping,
    When a mother has persistent sore nipples and over-the-phone suggestions have not helped,
    When a mother needs a breastfeeding- aid product, such as a breast pump or nursing supplementer. 

Home visits and "hands-on" help are within the scope of LLL leadership and are covered by Leader liability insurance, despite persistent rumors to the contrary. (The only exception is if a Leader is paid for her services. Only volunteer help is covered under LLL's insurance plan.)* But home visits are optional and are not considered part of a Leader's basic responsibilities....>

As a LLLL, I do record my visit just as if I were performing as and IBCLC and I offer a physician report.  I do not do this often because I do not have the time to do this as a volunteer.

Can IBCLC really tell me that I cannot perform this way as a LLLL?  I definitely need to clarify this!

-Laura Spitzfaden, LLLL, IBCLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2