Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Jun 2010 12:55:13 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (16 lines)
Laura writes: "In the speech/OT feeding therapy world I have heard it said (more than once and even from speakers at continuing ed courses) that delayed introduction of solids, beyond 6 months, may lead to/contribute to feeding disorders due to the lack of sensory input from different textures as well as lack of oral motor practice/experience manipulating a non-liquid bolus. What do you all think? I'm especially curious to hear from those who did not introduce solids until your children were significantly older than 6 months. Has anyone observed a child that was averse to textures or had difficulty chewing or other evidence of impaired oral motor skills after starting solids later than 6 months

I am fortunate to work with speech and occupational therapists in my in and outpt settings in Pittsburgh, PA.  This is my perspective:  Wolfe & Glass note "window of opportunity" being lost as the infant nears one year of age.  From my work here, I see this as being very possible.  Definitely NOT 6 months.  I certainly see considerable feeding difficulties when they are not regularly given the opportunity to practice both for social reasons and oral skills by 10 months.  Every child is different.  having said that... I do not see well children, I see infants and toddlers that are NOT doing well whether it be weight loss, chronic growth failure, poor progression of skills and development.  I cant speak for those that are delayed in taking solids and grow and thrive.
Angie Kirkwood RN BSN IBCLC RLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2