Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Mar 2009 13:24:00 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (26 lines)
Dear Lactnet friends,
My client is in her late 30's. she is diagnosed as PCOS. She delivered a LBW baby girl (2400 grams) at 39 weeks. Pregnancy was not spontaneous but with hormonal aid and through insemination (took about 1 year to conceive). During pregnancy chest didn't grow much, areola didn't darken much and no veins appeared. breasts seem hypoplasic, more so on one side. issues of milk production and weight gain are in control. baby receives formula by bottle after breastfeeding.
Mother suffers an acute pain which lasts only as long as baby sucks. pain is described as going from behind the nipple towards chest wall in a current fashion with each and every suck. reminds the mother of the type of pain she had in puberty when breasts first grew. no pail between feedings. same pain when pumping, controlled by pumping strength.
hurts a little more on the lesser breast. Latch is fine.
I assumed baby sucks strongly due to a slow flow. 
I suggested to use SNS to see if under a better flow sucks less vigorously hence less pain - but mother is reluctant to use a tube on the breast.....even if only to rule out connection to sucking strength :-(
I suggested to give a little formula by bottle before breastfeeding so that first thirst is met - with no relief.

Might anyone have an experience of trying to improve pain issues with hypoplastic moms?  Or another direction of thought for me?

Lily Ouziel, Lactation suport, Israel

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2