Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Aug 2000 02:35:04 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (12 lines)
I am so saddened by the mother of the 28 week premie!  How sad for her to feel like this is her "punishment" for buying into that part of our culture that believes we aren't fine just the way we are.  Does she know for sure if one or both of her implants are ruptured? Is there any way to check through mammography or ultrasound to see if the implants are ruptured definitely or not? I can't find where I read this (I'm in the middle of redecorating & have a bunch of stuff in boxes) but I seem to recall reading somewhere that there is more silicone found in cow's milk & AIM than in the milk of mothers with breast implants. I don't think that it is possible for the silicone, if indeed it is leaking from the implant, to pass into the milk ducts themselves. If anyone knows more & has sources, please correct me on this. For a 28-week premature infant, I think the risks of AIM & withholding colostrum & breastmilk from this baby are much greater than having some silicone in the breastmilk. Studies have not been able to prove scientifically that silicone implants cause many of the autoimmune disorders anecdotally linked to them while there are many showing the risks of not breastfeeding. 

voted #1 search engine! http://www.iwon.com why wouldn't you? 

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2