Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jul 2007 07:12:45 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (25 lines)
I have had a breast thermogram done, and a standard mammogram.
There are at least two HCPs in the Phoenix metro area who do thermograms but they do let you know that this is for screening only. It is not the Standard of Care in the USA. A breast cancer would show up as a white-hot spot with varying degrees of a red corona showing the extent of the blood supply for that cancer. They claim to be able to find these months before a mammogram can. If anything is found, you still must go for the standard recommended screening and tests to determine the nature of the anomaly. You will also see red crescents of heat in the lower portion of the breasts due to heat from contact with the body below the breast. I don't know why they don't place some kind of barrier there to reduce or remove this heat effect from the image. Seems to me that would give a better image.

The HCP I went to is an MD and a ND or Naturopathic Doctor. Naturopathy is not legal in every state in the USA, but it is in AZ with a licensing board, and one or more schools to train NDs.

Actually, I won it during a presentation by the practitioner who was trying to promote his practice and new thermography equipment. (yes, I know, everyone does marketing) It showed hot muscles in people with muscle spasms like whiplash and back problems. Many were surprised at what showed up because they didn't tell in advance of any problems they had.

I think the price of the breast thermogram would have been about $65 - certainly competitive with mammograms when I had it about 6 years ago. And it was fee for service because thermograms are not covered by insurance in the USA. You do get a color copy print out for your own records.

Phyllis

--
Phyllis Adamson, IBCLC, RLC
Glendale, AZ.
[log in to unmask]

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
Mail all commands to [log in to unmask]
To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or [log in to unmask])
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet or ([log in to unmask])
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2