Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jan 1998 12:17:48 PST
Content-Type:
TEXT/PLAIN
Parts/Attachments:
TEXT/PLAIN (43 lines)
Jan B wrote:
> Be sure you have some extra vegetarian dishes for those who forgot to indicate
>they want vegetarian, and it would be nice if the hotel kitchen knew that
>vegetarian doesn't mean 3 lettuce leaves and a dollop of mayo.  Yes, that's
>happened too....

I know that the *meat and potatoes* of any bf conference is the information
offered, but let us not decry the small stuff, either. Food, in many cultures, is a
very important part of all kinds of gatherings. Not to digress, but vegetarianism is
a growing trend, and so it makes sense to offer a veggie choice on the menu,
preferably a vegan one so as to be as inclusive as possible. I have taken coolers on
planes when I wasn't sure of the kind of food available, but this is a chore. On one
occaision, the only veggie option was a slab of unaddorned tofu instead of the meat
at every lunch and dinner for the entire 3 day conference! This was at a major
hotel, which (presumably) had a first class chef...
        My point is that it is often the creature comforts offered which keeps
people coming back year after year to specific conferences. I have always found it
helpful, when organising a conference, to imagine myself as an attendee, and *walk*
myself through the whole event from my arrival at the airport. Let's see... I need
to have good directions (including a map), information about transport options, etc.
etc.
        I have struggled for a long time over the *kids at conferences* issue. As
the mother of three bf babies, who needed me close by well past toddlerhood, I was
surprised to find myself excluded from so many bf conferences. It just didn't seem
to make sense. A bf conference that wasn't baby friendly? Hmmm....
        As the mother of grown children, I am now finding that I am more than a
little irritated by baby noises - not the HAPPY baby noises, but the ones that
indicate that a need isn't being met. An unhappy baby needs a mother's attention,
and nothing is more important than providing it. There will always be time to attend
another conference, but babies have no sense of time and cannot wait. I love Karen
Z's solution of providing piped-in live videos of speakers in another room. Wish
that I had thought of that! Having a variety of options available is a great idea -
a place to pump, a playroom for caregivers and children, whatever is possible!
        I also agree with Jeanne - there is a season in our lives for everything. We
can have it all, but not at the same time. As adults, we have the capability to put
the needs of those dependant on us first. Isn't that what mothering is all about?

Norma Ritter IBCLC
<[log in to unmask]>
"If not now, when? If not us, who?" R. Hillel

ATOM RSS1 RSS2