Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Apr 2003 10:58:00 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (46 lines)
Winners of "Everyday Breastfeeding Photo Contest" Announced.

The Moms for Milk Breastfeeding Network held a Celebration of Breastfeeding March 26 in Regina Canada, to announce the winning entries of Saskatchewan's and Canada's first "Everyday Breastfeeding" Photo Contest.

The First Place winner was:

1st Place "Twins" Leslie Parent, Grace (right), & Noah (left)

All entries and winners can be viewed at:

http://hyperphoto.photoloft.com/view/allalbums.asp?s=cano&u=1760911

I want to very sincerely thank all of the entrants.  These women are taking a big step forward for breastfeeding, to allow others to see them breastfeeding, at a time in society when breastfeeding is not often seen or understood.  I appreciate all the effort they went through to get the pictures to me, and so I have made sure each entrant was awarded at least one prize.

We had to select one first place winner, to make it easy for the media to understand the contest.  But I and the panel of 4 judges had a really hard time deciding on the "best" photos, since each and every one illustrates an important aspect of the breastfeeding experience.  I realize now that breastfeeding is really as unique as the lives of the women who breastfeed, and so no one picture can capture it all.  In most circumstances, the pictures will be viewed as a part of a "collage" or "slide show", and they then become much more powerful than the sum of the individual photos.

The 1st Place winning picture "Twins", was chosen for several reasons. It is a well-composed photo that will reproduce well in the media.  It illustrates several aspects that the Contest wanted to address: co-sleeping, nursing beyond infancy, and of course, the fact that these are twins nursing,  challenges a lot of those sterotypes of "not having enough milk".  The mom and children look happy and just seem to "glow".  It was the only picture to receive votes from all 4 judges (2 currently breastfeeding moms, a photographer/breastfeeding mom, and "retired" breastfeeding mom).

What will happen to the pictures?
I have scanned all the pictures to my computer.  I will make them available to the media and public for viewing at the website listed above.   I will use the photos in speaking engagements that I do as a consumer (speaking to health professionals and the general public).  I will also make a collage for display at Breastfeeding conferences and events.

Health professionals have also requested access to these photographs for their breastfeeding promotions.  I ask that they write to me and tell me which pictures and for what purposes they will use the photos.  I will grant permission when they are used for breastfeeding promotion.  If they ever wanted to use a specific photographs for a "big" purpose, for example, one photo featured on a poster or billboard, as a courtesy I will contact the entrant for specific permission first.

Manitoba has also run this contest  (its deadline is March 31), we would like to share photos with breastfeeding supporters and health professionals there, also.  I will realese their results when they are ready.

If you have questions about this, please contact me.

Once again,  thanks very much for your interest in the contest.  You have made this Contest a success.  There is a strong possibility that we will run this Contest again, this time on a national basis, so keep breastfeeding and keep taking those pictures!

Sincerely,
Janice Reynolds
Founder, Moms For Milk Breastfeeding Network
[log in to unmask]

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2