Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jul 1996 13:32:39 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
I am interested in the effects of drugs used to prevent preterm labor in babies.  I
personally experienced the use of terbutaline sulfate (Brethine) and magnesium sulfate.

I looked back in my literature (from Healthdyne 404 423 4600 and Tokos 800 678 6567) and
this is what I found.  Terbutaline tends to make the mother anxious, nervous, dizzy, and
have an increased heart rate.  There are other less common side effects and even
potentially serious adverse reactions.  This drug does cross the placenta and enter the
baby's circulation.  Sometimes there is a short term increase in the baby's heartbeat or
blood sugar values.  According to my informed consent, it said "low blood sugar, low
calcium levels, low blood pressure and relaxation of the intestines have been reported
in babies born to women treated with the drug during labor"

As for magnesium sulfate, the side effects are much different because the drug works
differently.  Magnesium sulfate relaxes you and makes you feel sleepy and tired and out
of it.  There can be an overrelaxation (toxic) effect in this drug.  I literally could
not move my arm to take a drink or stand up to go to the bathroom.  I also began to lose
reflexes.  If the baby is born too soon after the magnesium sulfate has been in the
mother's system, then the baby may have "decreased muscle tone".  (Perhaps an answer to
some nursing problems due to sleepy babies).

Heather Carpenter

ATOM RSS1 RSS2