Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Apr 2014 21:02:49 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (26 lines)
As both a midwife and an adoptive mother, I hope I can offer some insights.  Nipple stimulation can be an effective way to stimulate labour in a post-dates pregnancy.  A newborn adopted nursling would likely provide some pretty darned effective nipple stimulation having the *potential* to stimulate labour esp if she is at risk of pre-term labour.  

Depending on the state, nursing may (??) be prohibited until the adoption is finalized.  There are all kinds of strange laws regarding what we can and can't do with our new adopted kiddos that change once we have legal custody. 

Ideal scenario in an ideal world (but we don't get to choose, do we?), birth mom goes into labour at 42 wks, adoptive mom goes into labour at what's considered, at least in the out-of-hospital birth world, a time when baby's not considered premature at the earliest 37 wks leaving only a one week window where it might be risky to nurse prior to giving birth. Less than ideal would be birth mom goes into labour at 37 wks and adoptive mom at 42 wks leaving an 11 wk gap (if I've done my quick math right)…

To ensure the best transition once adoptee is able to get to breast might be to fingerfeed the adopted babe while being held at the breast (using a 10-12 French feeding tube with formula or donated milk in 30-35ml syringe initially and soon a larger bag system i.e. SNS) rather than bottle feed. It may or may not be safe to offer the breast periodically for short periods.  But as we all know there are many mothers who continue to nurse their toddlers throughout an entire pregnancy and tandem nurse once the newborn arrives.

Kangaroo care in the interim from adoptee's birth to second baby's birth for certain will help adopted babe adjust to new mum's smells and sounds of her body (voice, heart, breathing patterns, gut sounds, etc) and prepare her/him for easier transition to nursing once second baby arrives.

Donated milk from other mothers can be a great way to go - I had two "Milk Mamas" when my daughter arrived - two women who I knew and whose history I trusted who were producing ample milk for their babies (one with twins) and had WAY more milk than their kids needed. They were pumping and dumping to stay comfortable.  But…she won't be able to find milk mamas when she is out of state adopting her baby.  I won't get into donated milk concerns, testing, etc as that's another topic.  

Organic baby formula, to my knowledge, does not yet exist.  I made my own (I'm a naturopathic doctor as well) but I wouldn't recommend that for everyone and, again, a divergent and controversial topic for another discussion on another forum.

Regarding lactation consultants or LLL meetings in the area where she will be meeting her adopted baby…adoptive nursing is a specialized area that, unfortunately, not many LCs are familiar enough with to guide a adoptive mama/child pair through knowledgeably.  Intentions are good but solid guidance is usually lacking as it's not something most adoptive mothers want to do (or are even aware is possible) so it's not emphasized in training.  She may have good fortune and find someone where she is adopting and hit a gold mine.  Certainly worth looking.

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2