Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Sep 1998 19:53:13 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (14 lines)
Bonnie, I do in fact teach hand massage and pumping first, and preferentially, to most mothers.  1) to keep the sense of touch in the procedure;  2) to de-mechanize it;  and 3) especially when mom's ask, even before they've given birth, about pumps for when they go back to work. 

I start with the premise that the first, best, pump is always handy there at the ends of our forearms, needing no electrical outlets or specialized attachments.  When moms squeeze out those first few precious drops, which often get lost to the sides of the pump containers, we slurp them up in a syringe (assuming we can't get the baby to lick them off right then and there.  It makes them feel wonderfully powerful, in a way that the mechanical pumps never achieve until moms are pumping 1/2 oz or better.

Then if major pumping is needed for whatever reason, we can go on to talk about the various pumps.  Most moms, I am sad to say, prefer the hospital pump, especially once a larger supply is in:  Their own body issues?  tidiness? convenience? modernity?  who knows... 

It is our hospital policy to start mom's pumping as soon after birth as possible if baby has to go to the ICN or is going to need "supplementation" for suspected or real low blood sugars.  So I have several times done that initial hand pumping still in the recovery room -- rushing the syringe of colostrum over to the nursery to be used if the baby needs something sooner rather than later.  

I understand that the current thinking is that double pumping with the hospital grade pump is considered the first choice for moms who will have to bring in their supply that way.   But I don't believe it, particularly, having brought in a humungous supply for my 30 weeker who wasn't allowed oral foods for about 36 hours, and then only by gavage tube for several days.
Nothing particularly wrong with him -- it was just 26 years ago, and we didn't know as much then..  There were no double pumping set-ups then, and no rental pumps.  I used the hospital pump twice a day while I was visiting my son -- but every two hours, around the clock, I hand pumped, and by a week was supplying more than enough to meet the needs of my babe, store milk both at home and in the hospital for his future needs,,,,,,,  and with additionally enough to feed two other problem babies at the hospital's request.

Chanita, San Francisco
BSc,RN,IBCLC

ATOM RSS1 RSS2