Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Dec 2009 12:18:51 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (21 lines)
3 weeks ago, a mom called who has been exclusively pumping and bottlefeeding her 7.5 mo baby.  Asked if I could help her breastfeed him instead.   She has a great milk supply leading to nice weight gain.  So I said, sure let's give it a whirl!  (with my "never say never" attitude)  
In gathering information, when she came in, interestingly, not only had she just bottlefed him up to this time but when she held bottlefed, she held him away from her, facing out, with his back against her chest.  So he wasn't even used to looking at her when he ate.  I knew pretty much what to expect.  When she faced him to nurse or even bottlefeed... he pushed her away with a "what are you doing" look on his face.  
Establishing intimacy first, would be our initial goal.  So we talked about, skin to skin, rebirthing by bathing together, gradually turning him toward her when he bottlefed.  When he was comfortable with that, then try nursing when he was sleepy and cozy.  
Well, low and behold, 3 weeks later, he is nursing at night ( no shield or anything)  She said during the day he tends to bite (cut a couple of teeth) but she is very optimistic and grateful.  Made my day!
Proof again, of the awesome impact of intimacy via skin to skin contact.....so simple yet so powerful.

Maria Parlapiano RN, IBCLC
Postpartum Place
Chatham, NJ 

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2