Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (45 lines)
This sounds like it could turn into a really good article or 
presentation. Clinical Lactation or JHL or International Breastfeeding 
Journal would very likely be interested in some good information on 
these areas.

Catherine Watson Genna BS, IBCLC  NYC  www.cwgenna.com

On 11/13/2015 8:29 AM, Michelle DeArmond wrote:
> I have encountered a few IBCLC's that do not understand how Pediatric nurses gather their breastfeeding hours to qualify for certification (I do realize that you do not have to be a nurse this just happens to be the situation that I need to address). I am completely convinced that they are not only able but are a vital resource for us. I would like to compile a list of breastfeeding encounters that these nurses come across, and knowledge points that those of us in other areas, whether hospital or community could benefit/learn from. A few that I can think of are:
>            Being experts at the use of continuous feeding pumps (ie. how to set up, program, ensure safety of policies and procedures for human milk under these unique situations. Especially times that milk can remain in the tubing if used with feedings over short periods of time vs. continuous feeds, and considering storage guidelines of fresh/refrigerated/frozen human milk within the pump/tubing (difference between milk being in a closed system vs. exposed to air).
>            Critical thinking to identifying reason for admission to the Pediatric unit, such as why baby is not transferring milk or a decreased supply for different reasons Examples like tongue/lip ties that may  have been missed during the post partum stay at the hospital or home births, dehydration, hyperbiliruminemia, inefficient milk supply possibly due diabetes, infertility, thyroid, not enough glandular breast tissue, retained placenta, past breast surgery/trauma, PCOS, starting birth control, gastric bypass surgery, anorexia/bulimia, <38 gestation birth, other health issues for baby.....)
>             Assessing nursing toddlers/and mothers with encouragement, referring mothers to supportive lactation resources, and educating other staff members and physicians about extended benefits of longer nursing (here in the US nursing a toddler is frowned upon by the community at large and moms often become "closet breastfeeders")
>             Nursing a child with other health issues whether chronic or acute.
>             Educating parents about the benefits and preventive measures for nursing future children addressing what is now a family history.
>             Assisting with feeding issues, especially if mother is considering weaning due to these (sleep issues-idea: encouraging frequent day feedings, biting/pinching with fingers while nursing-idea: distraction techniques and loving explanations and gentle consequences...)
>
> I know there are many more. Thank you in advance for your help.
>
> Respectfully, Michelle DeArmond RN, BS, IBCLC
>
>
>             
>
>               ***********************************************
>
> Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
> To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
> Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
> COMMANDS:
> 1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
> 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
> 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
> 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2