Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Apr 1997 07:08:59 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (9 lines)
Our hospital has no nursery for well-babies, only rooming in.  While we do not have a policy regulating co-sleeping, neither do we have one prohibiting it.  Most of our moms, without discussing it, seem to co-sleep most of the time.  It's almost gotten to a point that I wonder about the bonding of moms who are willing to put the baby in the crib.

When I first started at Kaiser, we had a night-nursery, and babies were brought out to moms for feedings (ha!!).  The reason for this was that knowledgeable eyes would protect infants through the night, would notice if they turned blue, were aspirating emesis, etc.  Shortly after that we went to total rooming in, though moms having difficulty sleeping would sometimes roll their babies out into the halls for the staff to baby-sit while the slept.  Some time between '82 and '87 an infant died in its crib, at mom's bedside, during the night, and was discovered by the Rn as she made her  q 2 hour rounds.  I don't know what was found to be the cause.  Needless to see the Rn was devastated -- though found not to be at all  culpable.

The point is that in 18 years at my hospital, I only know of this one case of a well-baby demise in postpartum, and that was NOT a co-sleeper.
There might have been others that occurred while I was on vacation, or out on one of my year-long absences, but I tend to doubt it, as we talk about those events for many years to come.

Sincerely, Chanita, San Francisco

ATOM RSS1 RSS2