Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Nov 2013 12:47:51 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (1 lines)
Kathy says:

<the analogy I use for a tongue tie…………….

Imagine high school gym class and it's time

for the pesky President's Physical Fitness test.

And just as you are about to set out to run the 

track, your gym teacher says, wait !  And she 

ties your sneakers together !!

Sure you can still move, but it will take all of this period and

most of the next just to make it around the track !

And because its sooooo tiring to "shuffle" around the

track you will stop often to rest and perhaps take a

a nap or two.

I imagine that's what it must be like to breastfeed with a tongue tie.>

I love this and hope you will give us permission to use it!  I would even take it a step farther and say something like this,

Now imagine that we have invited a group of doctors to come assess this situation.  Some of them will say "Those laces don't look like they're tied tightly at all.  I bet they will come untied all by themselves by the time the kid is half way around the track and then he will be running as fast as everyone else.  It's not necessary to do anything here!"  Some of them will say "Looks to me like the kid can still make it around the track but I'd be willing to watch him do it again in a day or two (or in a week or two) and if he is still falling down a lot, or still consistently late for his next class, I would be willing to discuss with you the possibility of untying his laces."  And still others will say, "Well it's quite obvious really.  All we need to do is untie the laces and it will only take a minute.  Then he can run as fast as everyone else, and do other things like climb stairs, ice skate and dance!"  

Anne Duret, RN IBCLC

Springfield, Oregon

This message is intended solely for the use of the individual and entity to whom it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable state and federal laws.  If you are not the addressee, or are not authorized to receive for the intended addressee, you are hereby notified that you may not use, copy, distribute, or disclose to anyone this message or the information contained herein.  If you have received this message in error, immediately advise the sender by reply email and destroy this message.

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html

To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]

COMMANDS:

1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail

2. To start it again: set lactnet mail

3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet

4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2