Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jul 2006 10:49:39 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
I posted awhile back about sucking/tongue problems I had with two of my four children (one especially). I find it interesting that a vacuum was used, as was the case with my  births that resulted in sucking issues. My daughter also did something "funny" with her tongue that we never really figured out, and while her suck on a finger was strong (she adamantly refused to suck on any kind of artifical nipple), her latch on the breast was pretty weak. Strong enough to make me very sore, however once latched on, if I moved even a little she just popped off. Her suck on a finger was pretty organized, but on the breast her tongue didn't feel right, moving back and forth and "hitting" the end of the nipple, or so it felt. 
As I had said in my post a few weeks back, I had luck with chiropractic care (as well as the passage of time). And, some on Lacnet had recommended cranio-sacral as well (spelling? my house is distracting right now....) We did not have that in my area at the time to the best of my knowledge.  I am a big believer in giving chiropratic care a try, especially after a traumatic birth. 
My daughter, who is now 7, did require speech therapy for 2 years (ages 4-6). Her only probelm was articulation, not using her tongue right. She has no nearolgical problems at all.
Interesting to me to hear now of people with similar difficulties... at the time no one knew what I was talking about and I thought I was the only one! My daughter also managed with her lousy latch to gain weight fine, so I had problems getting anyone to listen to me.

Cyndi Colligan
LLL Leader
Syracuse, NY
USA

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2