Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Aug 2013 18:04:13 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (19 lines)
Oh Henya, how disappointing!  :(   A couple thoughts come to my mind.   Are you familiar with the book Women's Ways of Knowing?  It describes how women learn/gather information.  As women beomce stressed (such as having a baby), we naturally move to a lower level.  Since her FRIEND is the one who called you, for me, I suspect she was a level 1 learner at the time.  Then she went to the hospital and listened to health care providers who she assumed were the best authority figure, moving up to level 2, which means you are not an authority to her yet. 

The fact that she stills wants help but is doing what she likely learned in the hospital, your options are to re-frame her thinking or cut your losses.  For example, if "the experts" say baby needs a supplement, talk about what kind of supplement (human milk), how it's delivered (tube at breast?), and physiologic quantity as well as how to gauge how much effective feeding the baby is doing at the breast (breast feels softer, rhythmic swallows, etc.).   Or, as I said, move on.  After I adjust my communication according to the mother's learning style, then I put in as much energy as she does. 

Chin up!  You did your part.
Amy Peterson
Idaho, USA    

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2