Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Jan 2003 15:12:12 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (26 lines)
I have puzzled over this issue whenever I see babies with >7% weight loss who have voided numerous times in the first 1-2 days.  I wonder, as Jan mentioned, about the medication issue, because why would their bodies be getting rid of fluid when they obviously need it, since the labs come back
indicating dehydration?  They appear dry, too.  That's really the telling piece.  Their weight loss wouldn't be so concerning to our pediatrician if the labs came back ok.  She would be willing to watch and wait with breastfeeding for a bit, based on how well I thought baby was breastfeeding, but if
the labs are off, all bets are off, they get a supplement or an IV.  Something out of the ordinary is going on, else why would their body get rid of fluid they really needed?  Technically (to my logical brain anyway) losing an artificial "excess" of fluid would not leave them in a state of
dehydration...would it?

Marsha

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Marsha Glass RN, BSN, IBCLC~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mothers have as powerful an influence over the welfare of future generations as all other earthly causes combined.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~John S. C. Abbot~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2