Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jan 2005 19:34:26 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (23 lines)
Hi, Brenda, how often is this mother pumping?  I found I did best when I double pumped everything three hours for a full 30 minutes.  I figured that equaled 60 minutes of breastfeeding or three 20 minute feedings.  I prefered every three hour pumping for a longer period to 2 hour pumping because there is always so much to do between pumpings especially if a commute to the hospital is involved not to mention hanging out and trying to get quality time with three special care babies.  At my peak, I could produce about 14 ounces at a sitting, particularly in the mornings after taking a little break to get 4 - 6 hours of sleep.  I had very scant colostrum and milk until my babies were 5 days old after experiencing hemorrhage after the vaginal delivery of my babies.  

I would also encourage fenugreek and blessed thistle before Reglan, lots of skin to skin and getting those babies to the breast as soon as they are able.  It's very difficult to carry out such an intense pumping schedule after the family has all the babies home, so the more breastfeeding she can do, the better, and it can help increase her supply.

I would love to do a study on this subject sometime. 

Anne Nans, RN,IBCLC,proprietor and mom to Caleb, Amy, and Riley 12/17/98 and Seth 12/10/00
Breastfeeding Services of Northern New York  www.breastfeedingservicesofnny.com

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a glass of wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming~WOO HOO what a ride"~

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2