Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Aug 2015 01:10:03 +1000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (33 lines)
that ILCA has set standards for commonly used terms in our profession
we may want to use them in our regular LACTNET postings. …

Good idea, Ruth, but I’m afraid that those of us using standard Queen’s English will not adopt Americanisms just because ILCA chooses them over British English, any more than we would expect Americans to adopt British usage. I refer to caesarean section, for example.  Julius Caesar was not Cesar. And no one talks about Cesar salads: even Google changes that to Caesar salad, which evidently America copes with.   ILCA was created as an international, not US, organisation, and language matters.

And there are other revisions I would suggest that list. For example:
I do not prefer "human milk" to "women’s milk" unless we are talking about male lactation along with female; in fact I think we should try to use “milk" alone in as many places as possible without confusion, as we need to reclaim breastmilk as the norm; while cows’ milk should always be specified as cows’ or indeed, bovine, milk. Breastmilk itself has to be one word, as there is no elbow or knee milk on offer from humans. Milk is secreted by a gland which in the human is a breast, not an udder as in the cow. 

But no time for such minutiae at present. I am trying to find time to write a non-readers’ digest condensed version of my latest book, for which I am hoping to see some formal reviews quite soon. All feedback on it is welcome. I hope that request is not construed as advertising, but the first edition was very limited precisely so that before doing a larger edition, I could get feedback from those who read it, especially perhaps in relation to what it says about infant formula worldwide. And there is no better way of asking LCs for input than Lactnet. I hope others will agree with me that IBLCE needs to make much deeper knowledge of infant formula and artificial feeding generally a necessary part of becoming an IBCLC. 

Maureen MINCHIN
[log in to unmask]

> On 12 Aug 2015, at 2:01 pm, LACTNET automatic digest system <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> 
> Now that ILCA has set standards for commonly used terms in our profession
> we may want to use them in our regular LACTNET postings. It will help us
> get used the preferred usage of these commonly used terms and keep our
> discussions on a professional level.

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2