Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jan 2010 21:31:49 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (31 lines)
<< Does this mean that the crew members' own breastfed children are accompanying them on this mission, or is it as I fear, that their children are far away, being fed stored breastmilk at best, by whoever is left *holding the baby*?   

I can't quite put into words why this disturbs me, without belittling the generosity of these crew members, and I sincerely want to honor their gift.  Having lived somewhere for the last quarter century with long paid maternity leave and breastfeeding breaks with no age limit on the child, both guaranteed in national legislation, it's jarring to think that there are so many lactating women on active duty in another Western country.  I think their willingness to help may tell us something about the pain they feel if they have had to leave babies of their own.  And I hope I would do the same, in a similar situation.>>

Yes, it is jarring, but it is what we have here in the US.  As a former breastfeeding mother on active duty in the US Navy, and the current author and website owner of a book/website ABOUT breastfeeding in the military---> No, they cannot take their babies onboard ship or overseas with them.  Their children are as you state " far away, being fed stored breastmilk at best, by whoever is left *holding the baby*"   I will tell you that the active duty mothers I have spoken with and helped over the years as an IBCLC are some of the most selfless and hard-working women out there.  They are making a supreme effort and sacrifice to pump and keep getting breastmilk into their babies even while deployed or at home with unsupportive supervisors.  I am sure you know of the Air Force mom who was sent to Afghanistan and shipped her pumped breastmilk for 9 months while she gone.  This is nothing to sneeze at!   I have plenty more stories where that one came from.  

Is it the best?  Would I wish that the military could offer some kind of extended maternity leave?  (actually the Coast Guard does offer a 2 year Newborn Care policy, the service member takes up to 2 years off with no pay, but can come back in at the same pay grade)  Of course I do...but this is the *military* we are talking about.  They have an obligation to uphold the security of the country they are serving, and the mission *always* comes first.  And the mothers who have taken that oath to uphold the constitution and so forth, have an obligation to fulfill their contract.  This isn't like the corporate world where you can just say "I quit".  In actuality the military has come a long ways since I was serving, 3 of the 4 services now offer a 1 year deferment from deployment and policies/regulations in place that new mothers can use to talk with their supervisors.  Is it perfect?  By no means...but it is certainly better than nothing.

I am applauding their selfless sacrifice to serve their country *and* provide milk for their own babies and the babies of Haiti that need it.

Robyn Roche-Paull

BS: MCH, IBCLC, LLLL
US Navy Vet  
Author and Founder-Breastfeeding in Combat Boots

Visit my website http://www.breastfeedingincombatboots.com 
Facebook http://www.facebook.com/breastfeedingincombatboots
E-mail:  [log in to unmask]

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2