Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jan 2015 15:39:00 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (37 lines)
I received a response privately to my previous request for resources for support of a 36 year old mother breastfeeding her one year old baby (baby's first birthday was this weekend).  
The mother had a biopsy of a breast mass one week ago which came back positive for breast cancer.  She is meeting with her doctors about treatment options today.  
This mother was so concerned about local anesthesia harming her nursling, that only ice was used for pain control during the biopsy.   (I learned of the situation only afterwards, and have tried to assure her that there are good sources for checking safety profiles of medications in breastfeeding mothers.  She should not forego adequate pain control measures for herself.)

The resource suggested by another Lactnetter is "YSC: Young Survival Coalition: Young women facing breast cancer together."  It is focused on supporting women under age 40 or so who are diagnosed with breast cancer.  Some are in their early 20s.

See http://www.youngsurvival.org/breast-cancer-in-young-women

From their introduction:
> Young women CAN and DO get breast cancer. It is estimated that more than 250,000 women diagnosed with breast cancer at age 40 or younger are living in the U.S. today. More than 13,000 young women will be diagnosed this year. While breast cancer in young women accounts for a small percentage of all breast cancer cases, the impact of the disease is significant. 

The Home web site is http://www.youngsurvival.org/

The website has a link to a "Newly Diagnosed Treatment Navigator" form to help understand and keep track of information in this stressful period.  see http://www.youngsurvival.org/NDN

There are many, many (hundreds of) personal stories of young women from many racial and ethnic backgrounds who have breast cancer, listed in alphabetical order by first name, as well as explanations about breast cancer and treatment, information on handling practical details, the newly diagnosed treatment navigator, and more.  I spent a lot of time yesterday exploring this web site, and found that while several of the personal stories expressed  sadness over needing to wean, the extensive educational materials never directly address breastfeeding or the grieving that occurs if weaning is necessary.  So I wrote to the board of this group asking them to consider adding information on practical and emotional aspects related to breastfeeding when breast cancer is diagnosed.

This web site is focused on the U.S., but there is no reason those from other countries cannot make use of it as well.  Insurance matters and health care systems may differ, but there is much to be gained in knowing you are not alone.

Anne Altshuler, RN, MS, IBCLC, LLL Leader
Madison, WI, USA
[log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask]
(David Sulman is my husband.  I am Anne Altshuler.  I originally subscribed to Lactnet under his (the family email of [log in to unmask] and am afraid to change to my own email for fear of losing my connection in the process).

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2