Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (33 lines)
Laurie mentioned something that has me thinking:

Now the education and training of IBCLCs is changing and
there will be requirement for a seasoned LC to mentor. And you can see
why that change was needed.

Laurie I'm just using your post as a jumping off point because I've been thinking about this recently, your thread wasn't related to this specific issue though, not intended in response to the thread. I don't think the recertified once criteria for LC 'preceptors' or 'mentor's actually dictates this seasoning. I think the IBLCE needs to be more specific. As we all know from our own professional experiences, practice intensity varies. Holding a credential for a certain period of time, doesn't necessarily equate to actual experience. I know of people who have retained the certification without actually providing breastfeeding support of any practical type in years, or see very few clients. I don't think that is what the IBLCE intends. In addition to the recertified once, I would like to see the IBLCE establish a minimum case load, or number of hours of actual client service (not admin type of work) established. And preceptors need training first. Earning the IBCLC credential does not require one to develop the necessary skills to mentor or precept a student. I'm sure there are many talented and skilled IBCLC's who are fabulous preceptors, however the values, attitudes, knowledge, theory, skills, and abilities that are developed as part of earning the IBCLC credential do not simultaneously provide training that is necessary to adequately and competently mentor a student. 

Michelle H. Kinne BA IBCLC RLC ICCE CD(DONA)
www.CascadePerinatalServices.com

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2