Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Apr 2014 10:50:20 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (38 lines)
Hi Samantha,

I think I would approach this by directly speaking to the pediatrician as I worked with a mother. I would call and ask to speak to pedi. I would say something like, "I am the LC, Samantha at WIC, working with Ms Jones who desires to fully breastfeed but has needed some initial supplementation. Today her milk is in fully and I have observed the baby breastfeeding vigorously. Would it be ok with you if we discontinued the formula supplementation today? I've instructed her on s/s that indicate the need for supp and we have a followup wt check in 2 days. Does that sound OK with you?"

Or if you are gradually weaning the supplementation, I would say what you are doing and what your followup is planned, and ask for the dr's blessing on the plan. Ask if it's ok they f/u with you or would s/he want to see them in office sooner.?
Over time, you will get a feel and rapport for the dr(s) and you will be able to work your supplementation weaning w/o calling s/he, unless a difficult case or something unusual.

I think this is best approach in long run, and both you and the pedi will likely learn alot.
Laurie Wheeler RN MN IBCLC

<< I work for WIC and in an effort to both connect with our local pediatricians, and reduce excessive supplementation, my agency is working up a little "prescription" or plan of care form to give to doctors who tell moms to supplement with over the counter formula, and I'm wondering if anyone else has seen and/or used something like this before. >>

Laurie Wheeler | RN | Nursing | BMH-UNION COUNTY
Phone: (662) 538-2395 | [log in to unmask]
Opinions expressed above are not necessarily those of Baptist.

Laurie Wheeler
(662) 538-2395

This message and any files transmitted with it may contain legally privileged, confidential, or proprietary information. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, you are not permitted to use, copy, or forward it, in whole or in part without the express consent of the sender. Please notify the sender of the error by reply email, disregard the foregoing messages, and delete it immediately.

P Please consider the environment before printing this email...

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2