Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (40 lines)
HI Terriann,
I did mention IVF mom,
and no changes in breasts even pp.
no latching so SNS not a possibility
I did mention to her that lots of stimulation, closeness, nuzzling and non nutritive action would help them latch and she should go for that.
I think, too, that she was already resigned to quit.
thanks for your input.

It is nice to know that you are there in Alaska. I actually always use (unjustly) Alaska in my comparison to giving birth when I speak to new parents. As we live in such a hot climate, I always ask the parents how they would feel, if I would swoop them, all  alone, after 20-30 years living in this sunny climate, and by crane, replace them in the middle of a field in Alaska. Alone, Cold, stripped of clothing, torn from the warm surroundings and supportive network they had been familiar with for so long, with no one to rely on. They all agree that they would probably just sit down and cry. Then that makes them realize how similar that scenario is to birth for the newborn.

Well, at least now, I can tell them they wouldn't have to cry cause Terriann lives there!!!
(and between you and me, I am sure it can't be THAT cold!!!)

ellen shein, ibclc, tel aviv which is once again sunny and warm

----- Original Message -----
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Monday, February 18, 2002 1:47 AM
  Subject: twins

Doesn't sound like the mom is too motivated, but an SNS would be helpful in the meantime to entice the babies to attach and stay sucking to stimulate whatever production she can get.

Is there any signs of breast changes postpartum?  I wouldn't give up until the 4 to 6 weeks postpartum has passed.  If the supply problems were
  due to the edema or anything else, the four to six weeks will give a time for that to "cure" and postpartum hormones to work on the milk cells.

Were the twins a result of infertility treatments?  You didn't say, but you did say there wasn't any hormonal imbalance hx.

Just some thoughts, not a medical dx...
  Terriann Shell
  Big Lake, AK

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2