Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Jun 2008 21:24:06 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (17 lines)
The pearl stories has me in tears. I remember when Edwina was a guest at a NC LLL conference. My daughter Stacy, was about 4-5 years old, and was sitting at the "head table" with the conference committee ( isn't it wonderful how LLL encompasses the family). She had gone to the salad bar, and picked out 3 cucmber slices, 3 carrots, 3 brocolli spears, and 3 cherry tomatoes for her lunch. And of course nothing could touch another food on her plate! Edwina came and sat down and introduced herself to Stacy, just as if she?was as important as any adult at the table.? She complimented Stacy on her healthy choices, and proceeded to tell Stacy a story about eating fresh veggies from the garden when she was a tiny girl. Stacy felt so grownup.
About the pearls. In the south we always had "rules" for being a southern woman. Wearing gloves,? hats ( or the tiny lace thinkies on your head), and pearls. When I inherited my aunts's house last year, I inherited my aunts pearls, my grandmother's pearls,-- white and pink, graduated size strands, tiny ones, and 3 strand ones. I have sold most of the furniture and "stuff" but the jewery I just can't part with. I have my pearls that my mother bought me upon graduation from college. I haven't worn pearls in a long time, but this week, I am wearing pearls for the women who are the foundation of our lives. In the south we call them steel magnolias. These are the women who take care of the family, sit on the boards of major organizations ( garden clubs, libraries, hospitals, etc) and make major changes in our world, wear pearls and suits, and never call attention to themselves. I hope Edwina knows what a difference she made in the lives of generations of babies and children. It is time to get out the stationary and write a note of appreciation to the other founding mothers to say thank you for providing me with courage and strength to follow my heart in parenting, and also providing me with the education to become a LLL leader, and?IBCLC.

Barbara Whitehead, BS,IBCLC, RLC
eastern NC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2