Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 May 2011 17:19:58 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (31 lines)
 First of all, the little guys is on Prevacid.  I forgot to mention that, sorry.  He's only been on for a week, but it doesn't seem to be doing much.  Most babies with severe reflux on something like that seem to do better pretty quickly, so that's a little concerning.

Oversupply has been ruled out as an issue.

Mom reports that they did larger chunks of food today (pieces of banana instead of smooshed banana and those puff things) and he did not choke there.  Which makes some sense as the purees are relatively thin.

Baby's growth is following a plottable curve on the old CDC charts.

The sleep thing was really their first indication of something being wrong.  She originally thought it was a growth spurt or something, until it lasted over a month and she went to see her ped.  

I too feel like if all that elimination didn't "fix" it that there is something more serious going on.  I just can't buy that this has to be a formula fix.  That seems silly.  

The gassiness in itself doesn't bother me, honestly, since, well, babies are typically gassy.  It's that in conjunction with the other stuff.

I have advised her to get a new doctor, but this is the only practice of the kind in her area, and she is uncertain as to whether anyone else there will be supportive.

The suck/swallow/breathe thing sounds plausible to me; baby had serious jaundice issues at birth and was only brought to her every 2-3 hours to nurse if that while under lights - mom was recovering from a c-section.  They had mom pumping if he "missed" a nursing session and I wonder if that ensured that he didn't have adequate time to learn the appropriate pattern.  I have literally no experience in reteaching S/S/B - any suggestions on pursuing that avenue?  It can't hurt to try.

This mother is amazing and so dedicated.  I really hate to see her have to stop.

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2