Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Sep 2009 21:51:43 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
I know that many of us attending a meeting in California were shocked to learn that a patient in the hospital has given "consent" to the Depo - in other words, consented to treatment that the physician has deemed appropriate or necessary (an example given was that you can't keep requesting consent for every IV, medication, etc.).  

HOWEVER we all agreed that THIS seemed way above and beyond...but unless and until a lawsuit is filed, they can get away with it.

...and yes, as a nurse I was taught that I MUST educate the patient about each and every medication I was giving her - and I saw how that very policy stopped a nurse from giving my mother-in-law the incorrect medication - but when people are rushed on working in a "rote" way, this step is often skipped.

Jeanette Panchula, BSW, RN, PHN, IBCLC
Vacaville, CA

PS - it was not only in California - a good friend called me from her daughter's hospital room in North Carolina where a nurse had just walked in with a Depo - insisting she HAD to take it prior to discharge.  Her daughter was unclear and my friend called me on my cell (thank heavens for the great communications methods available to us!) to check "is it OK" since she wants to breastfeed...  At least THIS young woman had a mother present who ASKED what was the shot for...  

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2