Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Oct 2007 07:45:33 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (15 lines)
Just another thought.  I firmly believe that a couple of bottles early on is NOT the end of breastfeeding, although many moms may believe so.  I have found that it makes a big difference, though, HOW the baby is bottlefed.  I'm hoping we have pumped milk, but if mom has gone home when the situation comes up, she may need some help getting her milk to use, and rule # 1 is always FEED THE BABY!

Using PACED bottlefeeding techniques, which I learned from one of our many guru folks but can't remember who (I'd like to give credit where due), seems to really make a difference in getting baby back to breast.  I wish even our formula feeding families would use them.  The baby is much more relaxed, he/she doesn't pattern on the rapid easy flow, it works the oral musculature, protects their airway better, and is generally more physiologic.  A big plus for me is that it requires the feeder to be tuned in to what's going on, rather than just sticking the bottle in and watching the baby gulp until he can't breathe.  Is anyone using this approach (or know who taught it in a conference with great slides, etc.)?
--
Kay McKee

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
Mail all commands to [log in to unmask]
To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or [log in to unmask])
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet or ([log in to unmask])
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2