Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Nov 2003 09:59:44 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (1 lines)
Hello and Happy thanksgiving to ALL!

I am so glad to see the discussion on use of gloves by LCs, as I have tried in vain several times in the last 2-3 years to initiate such a discussion on this list.  I am aware of the CDC statement on handling of breastmilk and assisting with breastfeeding (does anyone have the URL for this, so we can review it?).  I have been doing lactation work since the early 90's and have never worn gloves for routine help with breastfeeding, except when I need to check baby's suck. (I do wear gloves when I or the pt has broken skin.  I base this practice  both on the CDC statement and on the principle that wearing gloves conveys a message that breatmilk is "dirty."  My current facility stocks non-latex gloves in all of the rooms, so the latex question is not an issue for me.  

Having worked as an L&D nurse for years,  I agree with the person who posted saying that if your gloves fit correctly, loss of sensitivity and dexterity is not a problem.  

However, I have a number of unanswered questions about use of gloves with breastfeeding.

1.  I am currently employed as a hospital LC, and my hospital uses Standard Precautions, which requires the use of gloves for contact with ANY body fluids.  This means I am practicing outside of protocol.  Most of the other 5 LCs here do not wear gloves routinely either.  But most of the rest of the nursing care staff DOES glove for bfdg.  I am concerned that this sends a mixed message to families.  Any ideas how to address this?  When I orient new staff I explain the rationale for how I practice, but I don't really like working outside protocol.  

2.  At times when I am helping with a latch, the baby will pull the side of my finger and/or thumb into his mouth, and I wonder about the need gloves when I need to place my fingers so close to the end of the breast.

Please respond to me personally as well as posting the list.

TIA

martha Johnson RN IBCLC

Eugene OR 

______________________________________________ 

This message is intended solely for the use of the individual and entity to whom it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable state and federal laws. If you are not the addressee, or are not authorized to receive for the intended addressee, you are hereby notified that you may not use, copy, distribute, or disclose to anyone this message or the information contained herein. If you have received this message in error, immediately advise the sender by reply email and destroy this message. 

ATOM RSS1 RSS2