Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jul 2013 11:57:52 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (66 lines)
I just got my preliminary results from 23AndMe DNA/Genetic testing.
They are still researching or gathering data on the relationship between breastfeeding and IQ.
But here is a copy / paste from my report - it has no personal information because they have not yet established a reliable confidence level.

Breastfeeding and IQ

Some studies have shown that breastfed children score better on IQ tests than their peers who were reared on formula. But according to a 2007 paper, only those infants with a particular version of the gene FADS2 derive the IQ benefits that come from nursing. The gene is involved in metabolizing fatty acids, some of which are present in breast milk but not in cow's milk or most infant formulas.

The following results are based on (3 grey stars) Preliminary Research for 2 reported markers. 
(Note from me: their indicators of good confidence level is 4 red stars - but they ARE studying it and there is a topic-related discussion group.)

Journal Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 
Study Size  
Replications None 
Contrary Studies None 
Applicable Ethnicities European 
Marker rs174575 

The researchers found that being breastfed raised a person’s IQ an average of six to seven points, but only among those who had at least one C at rs174575. Among those with a G at both copies of rs174575, breastfeeding appeared to have no effect on intelligence. This result was found in two independent groups, one composed of 1,848 British children and the other of 858 children of European ancestry from New Zealand. The effect associated with this SNP was larger than the one described below for rs1535, which is included for customers who do not have data from rs174575.

Phyllis Adamson (with Genetic Marker CC)  Being breastfed raised subjects' IQ by 6-7 points on average. 

Citations
Caspi A et al. (2007) . “Moderation of breastfeeding effects on the IQ by genetic variation in fatty acid metabolism.” Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104(47):18860-5. 

Journal Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 
Study Size  
Replications None 
Contrary Studies None 
Applicable Ethnicities European 
Marker rs1535 
The study found that being breastfed raised a person’s IQ an average of four to five points, but only among those who had at least one A at rs1535 — and only in the larger of the two study groups, which consisted of 1,848 British children. Also British children with a G at both copies of rs1535 did appear to have a small IQ benefit from breastfeeding, though their increase was significantly smaller than that of children with one or more A copies of rs1535. Among the 858 children from New Zealand, genetics appeared to have no effect; breastfed children of all genotypes had increased IQs.

Phyllis Adamson (with Genetic Marker: AA)  Being breastfed raised subjects' IQ by 4-5 points on average. 

Citations
Caspi A et al. (2007) . “Moderation of breastfeeding effects on the IQ by genetic variation in fatty acid metabolism.” Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104(47):18860-5. 

The genotyping services of 23andMe are performed in LabCorp's CLIA-certified laboratory. The tests have not been cleared or approved by the FDA but have been analytically validated according to CLIA standards. The information on this page is intended for research and educational purposes only, and is not for diagnostic use. 

Me again - so I know I was breastfed, with some version of formula, but wasn't allowed to initiate until Day 3 (from mother's hand-written letters). 

Glad to see that this research is included with the 23AndMe DNA program and that it is ongoing / expanding.
If anyone decides to participate on your own, lowest price is $99 when it's on sale. Regular price is about $130USD

Phyllis
- avid family history researcher

--
Phyllis Adamson, BA, IBCLC, RLC
Glendale, AZ.
[log in to unmask]

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2