Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jan 2004 08:06:57 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (24 lines)
First, there will be people who won't listen to you, or won't accept your help. 

My favorite technique is to say something in a friendly tone like "just humor me, I have to tell you this because I like my job and don't want to get fired." Said with a smile and open body language. If the mom is experienced at breastfeeding already, I might say "I bet you already know this but here goes...." My personal style is to give a 5-10 minute talk on what active sucking is, how often and how long, proper latch on, diaper counts, and weight expectations. 

When the baby is obviously doing poorly and mom is unconcerned, I will tell mom that "I am concerned about your baby because _____." This is where having an individualized written care plan for each mother can help. You could write what you see and what you want mom to do on this care plan and give it to her. Express your concerns in your report to the physician.

Written hand outs are also good and I specifically ask mom to read them later on. I like to refer to them when I do follow up a few days later.

My neighbor was one of those moms who wanted to be left alone. She explained to me that she was tired, and embarrassed to have strangers looking at her body. Even after four kids. She wanted peace and quiet in the hospital and was nasty to everyone to keep them out of her room.

Kathy Eng, BSW, IBCLC

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2