Jon Ahrendsen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Jul 1996 00:35:06 -0500
Content-Type:
multipart/mixed
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (1769 bytes) , application/ms-tnef (2253 bytes)
Anyone who has some helpful article on adoptive nursing or files or advice you can email me I would appreciate your help.  I had a discussion with one of my OB patients today that is giving her baby up for adoption.  It is a compelely open adoption.  The birthmother and the prospective adoptive mother have talked on the phone, exchanged photos.  The birth mother is planning to allow the prospective parents into the delivery room for the birth.  She told me that she would try breastfeeding at our first visit but this was before the adoption plans occured.  I mentioned to the birth mother that she mention to the adoptive mom that she try to get information about adoptive nursing NOW ( baby is due in Sept) so that she consider if she wants to attempt to nurse the child with an SNS.

I don't know what the adoptive mom will think of this suggestion.  Has anybody had a similar experience before.  I told the birth mother that all decisions about the care of the infant are hers to make as long as she has custody of the child.  As firm believer in Breast is Best, I would like to see the mother breastfeed the infant some the first days so s/he gets the benefit of colostrum, but I am concerned about creating confusing emotions for the birth mother.  The birth mother said she planned to let the adoptive mother feed the infant, but I know that she was unaware that adoptive nursing was an option.  I told the birth mother to tell the adoptive mother that the adoptive nursing would aid in the bonding process.

I welcome the input and experience of my LACTNET colleages.  Please send me a private email message as well as to LACTNET.  THANKS.

Jon Ahrendsen MD FAAFP LLLI Medical Associate
215 13th Ave SW, Clarion, Iowa, 50525 USA
FAX 515-532-2523

ATOM RSS1 RSS2