Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 May 2000 16:20:56 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (14 lines)
Hi! This is not meant to begin discussion of WIC again, but is merely meant to be a follow-up to this discussion and questions that I had.
Research in the 1960's and 1970's suggested that many women, infants and young children were lacking in nutrients in their diet and there was a growing awareness of the link between nutrition and mental and physical development. At that time the bf rates were at an all time low--about 18%(no wonder the mental and physical development was effected!). Since most children were formula fed there were problems with babies being fed all sorts of things if they couldn't afford formula. In 1972 a pilot project was initiatated by the US Congress to provide supplemental foods to low-income pregnant and lactating women and children up to age 4(later changed to 5). This program was tied to medical evaluation and health care services. The program became permanent in 1974 when Congress passed Public Law 94-105 authorizing the WIC program administered through the Food and Nutrition Service of the US Dept of Agriculture. FNS provides grants to state designated agencies to provide local services.WIC is probably a model of how a federal program can succeed in servicing many people at a low cost. Each month the program servies about seven million mothers and children at about $1.50 per day. (As I have said before, the professionals I have worked with in WIC are the most dedicated hard working federal employees I have ever met! )
More than 70 evaluation studies have been conducted throughout WIC's history. Findings from these studies reveal that participation in WIC improves pregnancy outcomes and contributes to reductions in infant mortality. In 1986 the US Dept of Agriculture relaeased findings from a mult-year study that revealed: 1. a 23% decrease in premature births in WIC mothers; 2. an increase in the number of pregnant women receiving adequate prenatal care; 3. better cognitive performance among preschool age, former WIC children; and 4. higher immunization rates among WIC children. The cornerstone of WIC's success is its prescriptive nutritions standards which promote proper nutrition and healthy development while facilitating the reduction of costly, long term health probllems for both mothers and developing children.  The program serves as a "gateway" for access to other health care services.

Comments: I don't see anything that specifically states how formula "saves" money nor how it has improved health or saved the lives of children. I think a great part of the saving of lives and health of children has come from healthier pregnant women and from the fact that WIC has been the gateway for other health care services. I don' t think we have any concrete data(as opposed to anecdotal) that says that children will die if WIC stops giving formula or at least modifies its policy(physician prescribed formula) about formula. I do think there is a valid question whether as many women would still access WIC if they weren't lured by "free formula". That would, I think be a problem since they would not access other health care services. 
Thanks for all you patience with my many lactnets on this issue, but I will state it again, we must open the dialogue to think of how WIC can better meet nutritional needs of mothers and children. 
Carol L'Esperance, RN, MSN, IBCLC

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2