Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jan 2004 18:19:25 +1100
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (76 lines)
Resent ! Rachel, sorry I pressed in wrong address.
----- Original Message ----- 
To: 'robynjaulmann' 
Sent: Sunday, January 11, 2004 11:09 AM
Subject: RE: Having a Baby at Guides in US--- Thought you'd enjoy the .......

Hi Robyn,
Please re-send this to [log in to unmask] so it gets out to the whole list.  You used the listmothers' address.
cheers
Rachel

I have been a girl scout leader for three years.  A bit ago we were talking about how to get girl scouts to include breastfeeding in their program.

When I was first a leader, Janene was 2 and I breastfeed her at meetings.  Sometimes the girls had questions but I answered them straight up, and nursed with such confidence and with such nonchalance that it really was a non-issue.  I did this up through last year, when
Janene weaned at 4 1/2 (sadly, too early for me.)  Anyway, I now have two girls in my troop who have a baby brother who is exclusively breastfeed.  There is a "cookie kickoff" meeting next week, and the
invite says "no tagalongs."  I asked if this mom could bring her breastfeeding baby who stays in the sling.  This was the woman's reply, with the reply I would LIKE to send her imbedded....

> Hi,
> I haven't been able to get an answer.  So, unless someone says anything on Monday at service unit, I'm going to say it will be OK.
> Here is the only thing I'm requesting.........  Please be sure she keeps the baby in the carrier (not passing it to the girls, etc.-if they are even that old that she would trust them, even her own daughters) for insurance reasons.
This is a reasonable request.
 And since she is nursing, when she needs to feed the baby, if she could do it away from the event-not around the girls.  I don't think it's a big deal, but some parents may not approve.

I kinda do think it is a big deal.  And it is also not only not
reasonable, but against the law.  In the state of California the law very specifically says that a. a woman may breastfeed her child anywhere and b. that no one can make her leave an event (or not allow her to
attend) simply because she is breastfeeding.   (Go here to read the actual law--http://www.lalecheleague.org/Law/Bills11.html)

And personally, what better thing for girl scouts to see, breasts actually used for what they are intended to be used for!  Every day they see them on billboards, on the beaches, etc.  We certainly take girls to the beach or to water parks, etc. without asking women there to make
sure they are wearing a modest bathing suit because we must not let the girls see any bit of breast.   When I was nursing my youngest, and was first a parent then a leader, I nursed her in front of the girls, no
problem.  No parent ever complained.  I was discreet but certainly I didn't hide what I was doing, I simply latched on my child and went on with the meeting.  Breastfeeding is as natural as breathing and I think girl scouts needs to recognize this.   These girls will soon have
breasts themselves, do we really want them to think only what society tells them, that breasts are to be high and perky and half showing on billboards and television, but whatever you do, don't let anyone see you using your breasts to nourish and love a baby.

Personally I think Girl Scouts should have a badge on Infant Care, which would include very real information regarding the dangers of artificial milk (aka formula).  Artificially fed babies cost about, on average,
$500 more for medical cost in the first six months than breast fed babies (according to one Kaiser study).  Artificially fed babies are sicker, have a higher risk of some cancers, ear infections, cavities, asthma, food allergies, maternal physical abuse and neglect, and more.
In the United States, thousands of babies die simply because they were NOT breastfed.  World wide, the number of dead infants who die because they were fed artifically is in the millions, because of poor water
supplies and sanitation, as well as a multitude of other complicated reasons. (http://www.babymilkaction.org/pages/boycott.html)  Women who don't breastfeed increase their risk of breast cancer significantly, just as woman who were not breastfed as children have an increased risk of breast cancer.  (If you were lucky, you were both breastfed as a
child and you breastfed your own children--you can reduce your risk significantly, even more than that wonder drug out there, if you were so lucky!)  The research is sound, and I'm always amazed that it's not widely known--but then, the formula companies make a lot of money and have a vested interest in keeping the real facts from the general population.  However, I personally think that girl scouts, where girls grow strong, should make an effort of educating the future mothers of the world about these very real facts, just as we have information about
the dangers of smoking and drugs and riding in cars without seat belts.

And as to some parents taking offense at seeing breastfeeding, well--some people take offense at my children, who are biracial.  They take offense because their own values say that white women should not
marry and have children with black men.  Should I therefore not be in public with my children or husband because someone might take offense?
Nope, of course not, that's a bit much.  So is people taking offense for breastfeeding.  If they are offended, they need to, both in the case of being offended over my beautiful brown skinned children and in being
offended about a baby getting precious milk from his mother, look the other way.

I don't wish to make waves, but this is, obviously, one area in which I am well versed and in which I have a strong opinion.

I should assure you that the mother in question is very discreet and no one would even know she was nursing unless they were right next to her, and maybe not even then.

Addit SO... Part of me says I should send this.  The other part says, don't
say a thing, and then let the mom do what she needs to do, and deal with
any issues if they come up.

Sadly, do to circumstances beyond my control, our troop has just been through a giant upheaval, and I'd really like to avoid any further controversy with Girl Scouts, for a while anyway.  The sneaky, subtle way may be better.  If we can get this mom approved to attend events
with sling baby, then other moms may see it and bring their own baby next time....
Thoughts?

Joylyn

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2