Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Nov 2010 07:28:16 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (25 lines)
Hi all

Just something very interesting about keeping an open mind regarding evidenced based medicine and being very very careful about conducting, reading and interpreting research.  It was on the radio the other am as I was driving to a consult.  I am in Canada but you all should be able to access this over the internet.   
http://www.cbc.ca/thecurrent/episode/2010/11/10/nov-1010---pt-3-medical-evidence/

Of course we can't make things up but we need to be aware of where the evidence that we base our practice on comes from.

In my last post I mentioned the mysterious correction of biting after a CST treatment (as well as patience, pumping and other behavioural/breastfeeding 101 'treatments') and pointed out that CST - to many people - is kinda 'out there' as far as its evidence base/theory behind it goes but it just works so darn often and so darn well that sometimes I have had to just open up and go with it.....  This isn't exactly in line with what the above radio segment is saying but just another point re: evidence based practice, being open to other ways is not necessarily a bad thing.

beth

beth mcmillan bcs ibclc llll
ottawa

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2