Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Jun 2001 13:41:47 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (10 lines)
I am hoping that someone can help me. I am currently taking a child development course (in far reach of becoming an IBCLC) I am appalled at the poor information regarding bonding, medicated deliveries, and breastfeeding provided in our textbook. It even goes as far out as to say a mother must decide by the second trimester if she will be breastfeeding so that she can begin "preparing" her breasts. 

Regarding bonding it states "Indeed the extreme idea of bonding - that the newborn must have close contact with the mother in the first days of life to develop optimally - simply not true." and "If parents choose not to use this "rooming-in" arrangement the weight of research evidence suggest that it will not harm the infant emotionally. (Lamb, 1994). In response to breastfeeding it only discusses in the context of bottle  and breast feeding in Africa. The bottle fed baby dies because the formula is overdiluted and unclean water supply, but the breastfed baby survives. They discuss the "baby friendly" as something that only needs to happen in "impoverished placed in the world". Any studies, references, etc. you can provide would be very appreciated.

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2